Wednesday 13 March 2013

10th March 2012 – New Zealand, Land of the long White Cloud


Flying from Argentina and crossing the International date line, I lost a day but arrived very early in Aukland on the morning of the 10th.

 I dropped my bags at my hotel, and as it was Sunday I thought I’d check out the local church scene, I had a look on the internet and discovered a church called C3 which seemed to be embracing technology in their ministry. As I had never been to Auckland before I, I was unfamiliar with the layout, but was impressed that these guys had a system where you could text them and they would come and pick you up and take you to their church. When I got to church it was pretty obvious why they were tech savy, 2/3 of the members were probably below 40 and 1/3 below 25. Speaking to the leaders it was interesting to note the responsibility that was given to the younger members of the church. They had risen to the challenge and really created a sense of vitality within the church.  I think there is something here that could be applied on many farms, in giving the younger generation more responsibility, and allowing them to rise to the challenge.


In the afternoon I went to the Aukland war memorial and museum. The displays of Maori culture were fantastic. I gained a much better understanding of the Maori wars and the development of NZ as a nation.

 The live, dramatized, Maori cultural display was also excellent and their rhythm and singing was superb. The museum also had great natural history displays including a history of volcanic eruptions in NZ. This was very interesting from a weather perspective in the light of what I have found in my research. 
Famous Volcano eruptions and the relative size of their plume



A cross sectional cut of a 1000 year old kaori tree was also among my highlights. This showed growth rings for the last 1000 years, which is essence is a 1000 year rainfall record. 
A 1000 year old Kaori tree

History that has passed in the life of this tree


No comments:

Post a Comment